Thursday, January 22, 2004

Baby Steps

It's all about baby steps.

I didn't quite hit my goal of getting to bed by 11 last night, but I have a good excuse. (Not THAT kind of excuse you perverts.)

Anyway, yesterday was my twins' 4th birthday! (I know, I know...shame on me for not acknowledging the event yesterday in my blog.) So now I have a 7-year-old daughter (K) and twin 4-year-olds (J (boy) and L (girl)).

The deal in our family has always been that the birthday kid gets to pick where we have dinner that night. With twins, that gets to be a trickier situation. Fortunately, L is pretty agreeable about these things. So, J's top two choices were McD's or Taco Bell. Either one would've been great with me because hey...it's quick and it costs less than $20 for the whole family!

By the time I got home from work (and I'm using that term loosely), we were going to the Rainforest Cafe. Now, I've been to the rainforest-themed (I'm sure you'd figured that out, but wanted to be safe) restaurant once before and was not overly impressed. It was, in my opinion, high priced and average to low quality food...not only that, but it takes longer to get through a meal.

Add to that, the fact that there was some guy walking around in a crocodile/alligator (I still don't know how to tell them apart) costume didn't help because my boy, J, gets absolutely freaked out by those things...Chuck E. Cheese, Disney characters...if it's a big fuzzy thing walking around he hates it.

All in all though, the kids had fun, especially checking out the fish and looking for Nemo. (Guess what! They found him too!)

As an added bonus, as we were getting ready to order, I noticed a flyer on the table that said Wednesdays are Family Nights and kids eat for 99 cents!!! Hip-hip-hoo-fucking-ray! That's a huge improvement over the normal $5.99 for a fucking kids meal! So I ended up getting out of there for less than $50, so I was alright with all of that.

Wow, this post is getting long...what was my original point???

Oh yeah...so the kids opened their presents, we attempted to open and assemble most of them so they could play with them for a few minutes before bedtime, but 9:00 rolled around and we finally had to give up on getting the Rescue Heroes Command Center assembled before J went to bed.

Bottom line, the kids weren't asleep until 10 and I really needed some unwinding/veg time. I did, however, get to bed before midnight though, which is somewhat of an accomplishment for me. And I even set my alarm for 6:00.

Guess what, though. I didn't need it. That's because J was up at 5:30!!!!

Neither my wife or I were very happy with this as he kept coming into our room every 10 minutes to ask if he could go downstairs. (The rule in our house is, you play quietly in your room until 7...works great if the kids can tell time. Sadly, this is not the case for J.)

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I'd have felt guilty leaving the house at 6 and leaving my wife to deal with J on her own. (I'm not sure who's less of a morning person, her or me...probably her.)

So I hung around until 7 and finally left the house at 7:30 and STILL went to the gym. (Yay for me!) I only did the elliptical for 15 minutes instead of my usual 20, but I did increase the incline two levels from what I normally do.

All of that and I was at work by 8:30. I figure if I can start getting out of the house by 6:30, I'll be getting my workouts AND getting to work earlier.

Wow...that's a lot for 9:00 in the morning.

Until Next Time...

|