Sunday, January 04, 2004

Catching Up

Happy Sunday everyone. I'm a little depressed that today is my last day off before starting in my new position at work. I'm still pissed off about it, but the good news is they don't know what the hell they want me to actually do yet, so I'll probably just go in and surf some more from the neighboring company's wireless network.

Man, I'm such a geek. I can't believe that gives me any solace, whatsoever.

Anyway...

So this weekend has been a pleasant blend of kid time, adult time, getting things done and just kicking back and relaxing.

Friday was unseasonably warm for Kansas in January, so I convinced my dad to take the afternoon off and drive up here to play golf with my daughter and I. That was a total blast! I hit the ball alright, but the best part was watching my little girl.

She's 7 and has only played once or twice before. My wife was worried she wouldn't get any exercise since we had a golf cart...she didn't need to. There were more than a few holes where K hit the ball off the tee and ran and swung her club all the way to the green. And not just the 150-yard par 3s either...I'm talking about the 420-yard par 4s. She had a ball and it was her first time riding in a golf cart too.

After we finished golfing, she wanted to putt on the practice green, so my dad and I sat back with my sister (who works in the bar at the golf course) and chatted for an hour or so before coming home and flipping between KU's basketball victory over Villanova and K-State's loss to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

Saturday was spent doing laundry and cleaning up the house before my wife and I went out for dinner and a movie. Saw Something's Gotta Give and it was a good date movie. They took a little too long to end it...I mean, it's a romantic comedy...it's no big secret about how it's going to end. But it was still a good flick.

A good chunk of the movie was set in a beach house in the Hamptons. Man, I could get used to a setup like that. Someday, if I ever get my fat ass in gear, I'm going to write a book. And, while I'd love for it to get published, I'd be happy just to write the damned thing. Then, if it does get published and is wildly successful, THEN I can get that house in the Hamptons.

Today has been a completely lazy-ass day for all of us. In fact, my youngest daughter is still in her nightgown from this morning (and it is now almost dinnertime) and I'm back in my PJs as well after venturing out for donuts and bagels this morning and then to get my haircut this afternoon. I've played a little poker (lost badly), done a little laundry and watched a lot of football. (Speaking of which, the Broncos are getting their ASSES kicked by the Colts, 38-3, in the 3rd quarter. It ain't a pretty sight for Broncos fans.

This means that the Chiefs will play the Colts at Arrowhead next weekend. This is a big re-match of the playoff game back in '97(?) when the Chiefs also went 13-3 and lost to the Colts for a chance to advance to the AFC title game. Back then our kicker, Lin Elliott, missed three field goals and cost us the game. (No, we're not still bitter.)

I can only hope that Peyton Manning has used up all of his TD passes today against the Broncos.

Well...it's time to make breakfast for dinner (seems oddly appropriate since half of us are in our PJs).

Until Next Time...

|