Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Page 3 Review

So I've checked out the first day's worth of content out on ESPN's new Page 3 and have deemed it worthy enough to add to my links on the left of my blog. As you can see, I don't have many links over there, so this is not an honor to be bestowed lightly.

In the debut issue, there are a couple of 10 Burning Questions...one with Tony Soprano and the other with the recently discussed Ashton Kutcher (both here and over at Buzz's place).

The Simpson's Top 100 Sports Moments promises to be good and may be enough to get me to start watching Simpson re-runs. (I watched it religiously in college for the first year or two it was on, but then just stopped watching. Who knew it would still be going 10 years later???)

I am going to remain cautiously optimistic about the future of Page 3. I hope they can add some columnists that match up with the caliber that's been assembled for Page 2.

On another note, I have to give a big kudos to the people over at ESPN.com. These guys know what works. The main site has always been my primary source for sports news. From there, they added Page 2 which is easily my favorite overall sports site, primarily for Bill Simmons' articles. They also have an entire section devoted to Sports Business and a newer section on video games called ESPN Gamer.

On top of all that, ESPN.com debuted ESPNMotion several months ago. When it came out, it was easily the highest-quality video service on the Web. Since then, sister company ABC News is using the same technology for video on its site. Quite simply, it puts the quality at other sites such as MSNBC.com to shame. Now, I'll be the first to admit that the video ads at ESPN.com are more than a little annoying, but it's a small price to pay for high-quality video with virtually no download time.

Until Next Time...

|