Thursday, January 08, 2004

That Didn't Last Long

After being thoroughly disgusted with my weight and fitness level lately, I decided to give the Atkins diet another shot. I did it once before in 2003 and lasted about 3 weeks and lost about 15 pounds.

This time? I lasted about 28 hours...not too good.

Don't get me wrong...I believe in Atkins, but it's just not meant for people with families and especially small kids. I want my kids to eat healthily and, more importantly, eat the food that they're provided...no special requests. It's hard to enforce that when you have to eat something different than everyone else. Besides that, I don't want my kids to worry about things like dieting at such a young age.

So, this leaves me with figuring out other methods to lose weight and get in shape. Part one is definitely start going to the gym more. When I first started, I'd go at 9:00 at night after the kids had gone to bed and did real well with that until I started travelling for work and got out of the habit.

Now I either need to get back on that schedule or go early in the morning before work or over the lunch hour. Which would you choose?

From a diet perspective, I'm just going to try using common sense (GASP!) and get smaller portions, not get seconds, drink more water and less pop (soda for those of you in the east), and just reduce the amount of carbs AND fat that I consume.

The main reason for me posting this here is to motivate myself to actually do something and hopefully I'll see results by spring break.

Let me know if there are other more family-friendly diets that you've had success with along with any exercise regimens that have worked for you.

Until Next Time...

|