Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Getting Motivated

Even though I am not currently officially in sales, I figured it doesn't hurt to continue your professional development. This is why I chose to spend the $100 to attend a 3-hour sales training seminar by Hal Becker.

It was put on by the Kansas City Business Journal and I must say that I couldn't have been happier with the results (unless, of course, I'd met someone who offered me a new job).

After my lackluster results last year, I was starting to doubt my selling style which can be described as laid-back, conversational...very non-confrontational or aggressive. I like to build the relationship and ask detailed questions with the hope of identifying the right solution for my clients. And, if we don't have a solution to meet their needs, I want to be honest about that rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Becker seems to subscribe to that same school of thought.

My biggest problem last year was not enough cold calls. As Becker said this morning, it's a numbers game. The more calls you make, the more prospects you get and the more sales you'll make. I just didn't play the numbers game well enough.

Sure, there could have been better training...oh, wait...there could have been training, period. But I truly believe I could have overcome that with more dedication to making calls. Unfortunately, it's too late for that in this job, but I won't forget it when I get my next opportunity.

As for the lack of training, well...that's why I signed up for this seminar on my own. I'm the only one who's going to look out for me.

I didn't network as much as I would've liked, but I'll get better at that. I plan on attending some other Business Journal functions as the year goes on.

After the seminar, I was able to meet an old friend for lunch. He and I used to work together at my first job and he still works there...across the street from where the seminar was held. It was good to see him again and get caught up on each other's lives.

The session really helped my motivation this afternoon, too. I've made about 10 calls already and have achieved more at work today than usual. (To put this in perspective, I usually knock one of these posts in about 15 minutes and I've been working on this one for over 2 hours now off and on.)

Let's see...what else?

Oh yeah...a while back I posted about my friend making the ESPN Dream Job show.

Here's some more info on that.

Last night, the 12 finalists for ESPN'S Dream Job were officially announced to the world, and Kelly Milligan of Plano TX is among those who have been selected from over 10,000 applicants nationwide... Starting on February 22, Kelly WILL be competing for the ultimate prize-a job as an ESPN SportsCenter anchor!

20% of the vote for who gets to stay (and who gets booted) at the end of each show is from viewer voting. We're not sure if the vote will be during the live broadcasts of the show (starting 9PM Central February 22nd) or can be at anytime after the show airs-but the bottom line is that we need as many "Kelly" supporters as possible voting to make sure he is secured a place in each subsequent show and therefore, closer to a shot at the big prize!

If you will, PLEASE send this email to EVERYONE you know... we can spread the word across the world and give Kelly a little bit of an advantage.

Last but not least...here is the link to the site where you can see the bios of the finalists and read up on the show. Check back on the site often for updates!

There is also an article in the SPORTS section of USA Today ..here it is:

Any support you can give to Kelly in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will be greatly appreciated!

Well...I think that's enough excitement for one day.

Until Next Time...

|