Monday, February 16, 2004

Happy Retirement Dad!

So today was spent celebrating my Dad's retirement after 34-1/2 years with the same company. He started there when he was 24 years old and has really seemed to enjoy himself for the most part during that entire time.

I've probably never told him this enough, but I've always been very impressed with his dedication to his work and the fact that he did it so well. At the same time, he got along great with the people that he worked with. There were well over 100 people at phase one of the retirement party today. Very cool stuff.

In thinking about my dad and his retirement the past few weeks, I've come to the realization that as much as I love my dad, I don't know THAT much about him. I don't know what his favorite sport is. I don't know what his favorite movie is. Who his favorite athlete is. I've never talked to him much about the time he spent in Vietnam. Or about his college days. Or his high school days.

Dad's always been Dad. He's been there for me my whole life. Whenever I really needed something he'd help me out.

But I want to know more about him.

So my goal for the next few years is to continue to learn more about him and who he really is on the inside. What makes him tick? Those kinds of things.

I'm thrilled that he has the opportunity to retire at such a young age and am really looking forward to spending more time with him in the future.

Anyway, I could ramble on and on, but I think I've made my point.

Congratulations Dad...thank you for everything you've always done and enjoy your retirement to the fullest. I know I'm looking forward to spending more quality time with you.

|