Monday, February 23, 2004

Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go

OH my god, I'm tired.

Ya see...after I watched Dream Job last night, I ended up playing in a "multi-table" poker tournament online starting at about 10:30 or 11.

I didn't go to bed until 3:30.

There were about 1700 people that started the tournament and I managed to finish 23rd. Not too shabby. I should have done better, but made a stupid call to lose at the end. (It was partially guts and partially a feeling of, "If I lose, at least I can go to bed."

The late hour, of course, led to my not getting up and to work by 7 this morning as I'd hoped.

ESPN Dream Job Update

OK...here's the quick rundown.

Kelly wasn't even on last night!

According to an e-mail from his wife, ESPN decided sometime this weekend that an hour (or 75 minutes as it turned out) wasn't enough time to have all 12 do their own SportsCenter anchor bits. So, they split the group up into two groups of six and voted off one person last night and one more next week. From that point on, though, there will be two people eliminated each week.

After watching the show, I think Aaron Levine (the self-described Jewish Asian guy) was really good as was Mike Hall (from University of Missouri). Somehow, Hall was the one that the public said they wanted voted off. This makes no sense at all. The only thing I can figure is that people got confused and voted for who they liked instead of who they didn't like. That's the only way that makes sense. I mean, he wasn't the best, but he was FAR, FAR, FAR from being the worst!

I thought, for sure, that Michael Quigley was going to get voted out. It was painful to watch him. His voice annoyed me, his energy annoyed me and the fact that he has no neck didn't do him any favors. He received two votes from the judges.

That left two votes for Chris Williams. I know he got off to a rough start, but I thought he had infinitely more potential than Quigley did. He also received two votes from the judges.

And, at this point, I should probably fill you in on how the voting actually works. There are five votes, one each for each judge and the "public" vote counts for one as well. If there's a tie like there was last night, then an unknown group of ESPN executives will make the final "cut" via a red phone hotline. Unfortunately, Chris was the one cut by said executives.

The good news out of that is that Quigley made it to the next round and I don't see how he'll make it past there.

There were two other contestants last night, as well.

Maggie Haskins, one of two women on the show, did a great job writing, but needed to be a little more confident on camera. She has a shot though.

Nick Stevens is a writer/comic who I thought did a good job with the exception of being a little long winded in his setups and transitions. I was surprised at how negative the reaction was for him by the in-studio judges.

Sorry for lack of links, but to see all of the contestants, you can click here and go to the Wendy's Finalists Bios tab at the top of the screen, then mouse over the little people figures at the bottom to see pictures and learn more about them.

That's it for now, folks.

Until Next Time...

|