Monday, March 15, 2004

There's No Place Like Home

Yep...I'm back in Kansas after spending an extended weekend down in Bella Vista, Arkansas, where my retired in-laws live.

I took Friday afternoon off so we could pick K up from school early so we could get down to the in-laws by dinner. We got a slightly later start than expected, but managed to make the entire trip without stopping for food or restroom breaks which is a minor miracle, so we got there in right at 3 hours.

All in all, the weekend was good except for the rainy weather, but the kids were the best behaved that they've ever been for a trip down to the in-laws, so I was real proud of them for that. We really didn't do much except watch college basketball, played some spades and I finished Brad Meltzer's latest book, The Zero Game, which I then left for my mother-in-law to read. The book was good, but probably my least favorite of his, but still a good read. Next up for me is Grisham's The Last Juror.

Oh yeah, this weekend I also played computer guy and installed a new CD drive and picked out a new printer and set that up for the in-laws. I definitely scored some brownie points this weekend which are tough to come by.

Got home today around 5:00 after ANOTHER non-stop trip which was even more remarkable, so that was nice. We got a REALLY late start today due to problems with the aforementioned newly installed printer.

After we got home, it was a pretty laid back evening, which was exactly what I needed.

I just got done watching the ESPN Dream Job casting special and Kelly came across well on there too. Not that it will affect the voting, but I hope it helps.

Speaking of Dream Job, we did watch that last night while playing spades and I thought Kelly did a great job this week. Definitely better than last week's performance. So now he's made it to the final six. I'm guessing two more people will get voted off next week, leaving four for the final show. I have no idea how that will work.

This week, Chet Anekwe and Nick Stevens got voted off. I wasn't surprised at all by Chet getting cut, but I really expected Maggie Haskins to be the other one let go. I thought Nick was going to be there a lot longer, but the judges didn't agree with me, which is fine by me. I'm pretty sure Nick will land a gig somewhere else. I don't think this is the last you'll be seeing of him.

NCAA Tourney Update
On Sunday, we did also watch the NCAA Selection show to see KU get a pretty sweet draw considering the season they had. They get to play their first round games at Kemper Arena here in KC, which is essentially a home arena for them. (It's where they won the national title in '88.) If they can get through there, the second round games will be played just across the state in St. Louis...again, not too far from home.

Now, do I think they'll make it that far? Doubtful. If they get to the Sweet 16 and the seeds play out as expected, then they'll have to play Kentucky in the round of 16. That's a tall order to expect a win for them in that game. In fact, when I fill out my brackets tomorrow, I'll probably be penciling in UK instead of KU.

That's all the energy I have for right now and I'm going to go read a few blogs to see what I've missed out over the weekend.

Have a great one!

|