Thursday, April 01, 2004

Movie Night!

Yeah, I know it doesn't sound like your typical Wednesday night, but that's what it becomes when you realize you rented two movies from Blockbuster a week ago and they're due tomorrow morning. Why I wait until the last minute to watch these things, I have no idea.

So we started off the night with Jack Black's School of Rock. It was quite entertaining, but not outright hilarious, which I tend to expect from Mr. Black. Still, though, definitely a good flick. And, surprisingly, with the exception of a few bad words, I'd even let my kids watch it. Joan Cusack was also very good in it, which she almost always is in all of her films.

Next up, Once Upon A Time In Mexico with Antonio Banderas, Johnny Depp and the ever so gorgeous Salma Hayek. I'd heard two not-very-positive reviews of this movie in the past week or two from friends, but it has Salma Hayek in it, so really....how bad can it be?

In watching the movie, I've learned that a) Salma Hayek's role is nowhere near big enough b) Willem Dafoe, Cheech Marin, Enrique Iglesias and Mickey Rourke are all in it and c) did I mention that Salma Hayek should be in it more?

Anyway, it's not that bad. There are ton of gunfights and I think the story is ok as the sequel to Desperado (also with Banderas and Hayek).

Trip Review

My trip to Louisville was fine...nothing too exciting. I did have a great steak dinner with my co-worker at a place called Kunz's (sp?). The filet mignon was awesome!

The unfortunate part of the trip was that we had to fly on a turbo prop airplane from Milwaukee to Louisville and back. Man, those things are loud! And to top it off my laptop battery died on the flight down so I didn't even have music to drown out the sound.

Training was fine, but LONG. Maybe that's because I maybe slept an hour the night before. Usually I don't have any problems sleeping, but that was a TERRIBLE night! So I'm still tired tonight, but here I am watching the damn movie!

I was glad that I didn't end up sitting next to my co-worker on the flight back as she apparently got sick 7 or 8 times during the hour long flight from Milwaukee to Kansas City. Definitely NOT fun times for her.

Also on that flight, I ended up sitting in the front row across the aisle from a little girl who looked to be about 7 or 8 years old. She was flying alone and I saw her crying as the plane took off.

I hate seeing little kids cry...especially with no parents to console them. Yet, in this day and age, I feel like I can't even be nice or initiate a conversation with her to try to make her feel better. I offered her some snacks I'd gotten from the flight attendant, but she said she was ok. I did find a small plastic Hello Kitty figurine that one of my daughters must have stuck in my bag. I knew they wouldn't miss it, so I went ahead and gave that to her. It seemed to improve her mood a little bit. And, ultimately she ended up being fine during the rest of the trip.

When we got to KC, I was waiting for my co-worker to make sure she was alright and saw a guy in the concourse getting his ID out. I figured it was her dad and told him that she was upset during takeoff. Turns out she's travelled alone a lot before and her tears were because her grandma had just died. I felt so bad for her having to leave from, presumably, the funeral and having to make that flight home alone. Would it have been THAT bad for one of her parents to fly with her? Just doesn't make sense to me.

So anyway, now I'm back home for another couple of days before heading off to Buffalo. Should be alright though.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

|