Monday, June 21, 2004

Blogless In Seattle

Look who's back from Seattle! We just got back a few hours ago from a nice, long and relaxing weekend in the Emerald City. I'll try not to bore you with too much detail, but here are the highlights.

Friday
Got to the airport a little late and because we were flying Southwest we were in the last boarding group and almost didn't get to sit together if it hadn't been for the kindness of a man who gave up his aisle seat in exchange for a middle seat somewhere else so we could sit together.

Upon arrival and checking into our hotel (where we had a great view of the Space Needle from our room), we headed down to the Pike Place Market first.

After that, we rode the "Ducks." It was a good time, but it's not the most comfortable ride for a pregnant woman (or so my wife tells me). Still, we did have fun overall.

Saturday
On Saturday morning, we were up early due to the time change and were on the road to Whidbey Island by 8:00. It was my first ever ferry ride and the first one that my wife can actually remember. (She lived on Whidbey Island when she was a baby and her dad was stationed at the Naval Air Station there.) It was absolutely beautiful up there...especially a little town called Langley and Deception Pass on the northern edge of the island. If you ever head up to Seattle, it's worth taking a little more than a half day to make this trek.

Once we got back to Seattle, we headed back down to the waterfront to check out some of the shops and eat some more. (There was a LOT of eating on this trip and I can't wait to get to the gym tomorrow!)

Sunday
On Sunday, we headed back down toward Pike Place Market and did a little more shopping before heading over to the Space Needle. Fortunately, it was a clear day, so we could see Mount Rainier in the distance. Very cool stuff.

K was pretty tired after that, so we headed back to the hotel so she could nap and I got to watch the end of the U.S. Open. I was disappointed that Phil Mickelson didn't win, but it was still an exciting finish.

Then, last night, we headed back down to the Experience Music Project so I could check out the gift shop. We weren't up for paying the $20 admission fee to go into the exhibits themselves last night, but I do hope to get back to it the next time I'm in Seattle for business.

Monday
Today was very low key. Got up late, packed our bags, grabbed breakfast, went back to the Experience Music Project so I could get my credit card back that I left there, and headed out to the airport to fly home.

Seattle Eats
As I mentioned before, there was a ton of eating going on while we were there. I'm pretty sure I gained at least 5 pounds over the weekend.

Here's a sampling of where we went:

13 Coins (twice) - Dinner was much better than breakfast. Our dinner waiter was from Kansas City.
Gordon Biersch - Great menu
Duke's Chowder House - Yummy stuffed salmon
Cold Stone Creamery - Great ice cream, but it goddamned better be for $6
Cheesecake Factory (for dessert(s))

Other Seattle Observations
I'm willing to bet a fairly decent sum of money that the greater Seattle area has more Subarus per capita than any other metro area in the country. MY GOD!!! Now, I'm sure I noticed it more because we were driving a Subaru Outback ourselves (which i liked), but I NEVER see that many here in KC.

If you want to get rich, build a parking lot in Seattle. Talk about a racket they have going on down there! I probably spent over $100 in parking this weekend ($45 at the hotel alone).

Seattleites (?) are a bunch of wimps when it comes to heat. It was sunny and in the mid to upper 80s the whole time we were there. The weather guy on the news actually said, "It's a sizzler out there today." Oh how I'd love to force him to spend a week here in Kansas City in late July or early August when it's over 100 and about 80% humidity. I thought it was absolutely beautiful up there this weekend.

OK...that's about all I've got. I hope everyone had a good weekend and a great Father's Day (especially Dan who was celebrating his first Father's Day).

Until Next Time...

|