Monday, August 09, 2004

ESPN "Classic"

For those of you who don't care about sports or ESPN, you can probably skip this first section. And to you, I would also add, "What the heck's wrong with you???" (No, no, honey...I don't mean you.)

Starting last night, ESPN has been bringing back some of its former SportsCenter anchors to do the "late" SportsCenter at 10 p.m. CT. They also brought back some early 80s style graphics and set design which are just butt ugly.

First up last night was current Late Late Show host Craig Kilborn aka Craigers partnering with longtime ESPN veteran Dan Patrick...still one of my favorites. For those who don't watch SportsCenter and are curious as to what Dan Patrick looks like...just check out a bag of Kingsford charcoal the next time you're at the grocery store...the guy on there is a dead ringer for Dan Patrick.

I digress...now, I used to enjoy watching Kilborn on SportsCenter...not as much as Keith Olbermann (who will be on later this week), but he was the frat boy of the show. Even though I was never in a fraternity, I could still identify fairly well with the guy.

His return last night gave me some insight as how tough it must be to stay sharp in the world of sports broadcasting. He was all over the place with his highlights, had several vocal missteps in his delivery...the best parts of the show were when he was just bantering back and forth with Dan Patrick.

Nevertheless, it was fun to see Craig back at the ESPN anchor desk, but I'd rather see him on The Late Late Show these days.

Tonight, it was current Yankees broadcaster and former ESPN boxing expert/SportsCenter anchor, Charley Steiner along with Bob Ley.

I always respected Bob Ley for his no-nonsense delivery style, yet was never dry. I was still entertained...again, not as much as I was by Patrick or Olbermann or Kilborn, but I could rely on Ley to put on a good show.

Steiner, on the other hand, could be no-nonsense, but liked to have fun once in a while too. The problem for him, though, was he was trying NOT to crack up half the time. As they were previewing tonight's show on last night's SportsCenter, they kept showing clips of Steiner when he'd start laughing and never could regain his composure. According to Patrick, Steiner had certain buttons that you could push as his co-anchor and you'd know he'd lose it which was quite entertaining in and of itself. (Can anyone tell me the origin of "in and of itself"?)

Well, tonight was no exception as Steiner was cracking up a couple of times, but nothing too out of control. This was his first SportsCenter in three years and I thought he did a markedly better job than Kilborn...probably due to his day-to-day routine with the Yankees.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure who's going to be on tomorrow night, but as soon as I find out, I'll be sure to let you know.

Back to regularly scheduled blogging...
Today, was the typical Monday at work...nothing too exciting. I have a fairly sizeable project that I've been dragging my feet on lately that I need to wrap up by the end of this week. It's basically a lot of writing and editing, which I'm usually fairly good at when I'm motivated. Clearly, right now, I am not.

I sent a follow-up e-mail to the Arizona company to check the status of their hiring process and found out they're in the middle of some planning sessions where they'll really identify their sales needs. She said she should have a better idea in 2-4 weeks.

Knock on wood...but this could work out pretty well for me, if they decide to hire me. If the pregnancy goes as expected, we'll have the baby in two weeks. I'll take a week off and go back to work, most likely, in four weeks from now. If they decide to make the offer 4-5 weeks from now, that means I could give two or three weeks notice, which will make the baby about a month old, and I'd feel a lot more comfortable about having to be in Arizona for training for any significant amount of time.

Back to the point, though, I'm having a hard time staying focused at work. I'll be getting a new phone line in our home office next week, and I expect to be working from home a lot more then. I think I'll be able to better focus on stuff then. At least I hope so.

Tomorrow morning, weather permitting, I'm going to try to get 9 holes of golf in before work. I'm meeting one of my co-workers at his country club's "executive" course at 6:15.

Maybe that'll get me motivated...at least to play more golf.

That's all I've got for now.

Until Next Time...

|