Thursday, December 30, 2004

Weird Week

OK...I'm "unofficially" taking this week off from work. It's something I worked out when they hired me. I only got two weeks of vacation, but had plans for this week with the in-laws coming into town and my own extended family's Christmas gathering on Monday.

My boss just asked me to be generally available for phone calls and check e-mails occasionally. Well, thanks to my Blackberry, I get e-mails at my hip all the freaking time.

Anyway, back when I took the job, we were all unaware of this major calling campaign we were going to be making at year-end. Now, I'm feeling pressure (most of it self-inflicted) to help out with this, even though I really am off this week.

My wife's been understandably pissed because I've been working (or wanting to work) this week while her folks are here. I get why she's pissed off, but at the same time, I'm really wanting to make some good impressions in my first month on the job. Tomorrow's the last day for this campaign and I'll try to squeeze in an hour of calls...hopefully, I'll have some success with that. After that, though, we're heading over to my brother-in-law's girlfriend's house for a little tour and then out to Mimi's for brunch.

At least I won't have to clean up the kitchen tomorrow!

On a more positive note, we had a great (fourth) Christmas tonight. K made an awesome ham for dinner along with some seasoned green beans. I contributed with scallopped potatoes and some dinner rolls. We all got some cool gifts.

I got a couple of books (The DaVinci Code -- yeah, I know I'm the only one on the planet who hasn't read that yet; and The Long Way Round, a travelogue by actor Ewan MacGregor and another actor whose name I don't remember as they made a round the world trek on their motorcycles), a nice sweater and a gift certificate for dinner and a check to cover babysitting expenses...very cool.

This does mean that after four Christmases this year, I need to go out and buy some DVDs I didn't get (Rounders and maybe the Star Wars trilogy) and some CDs (since I didn't get a single one of those).

The biggest post-Christmas purchase, however, will be a Dyson vaccuum. Yeah, it's ridiculously expensive, but I've heard nothing but great things about it and we've always had shitty vaccuums. We're also going to be getting a new kitchen table sometime soon....just not sure exactly when.

OK...that's enough for tonight.

Have a good one.

|