Monday, January 24, 2005

Bowling for Birthdays!

Hey everybody!

How was your weekend? Mine is finally winding down to an end as tomorrow morning will come earlier than usual.

As I mentioned, J & L's birthday was Friday and today was their bowling birthday party. They invited four friends, all of whom have older siblings that are K's age, so we invited the older siblings as well. Everyone was able to make it and the kids had a great time bowling.

K got into a spirited competition with one of the boys in her class in bowling. There was almost an element of trash-talking going on, but nothing really mean...just having fun it seemed. Anyway, I'm happy to report (yeah...I'm a wee bit competitive myself) that K edged him out by 3 pins. Way to go, K! :)

So the birthday weekend is finally over. They'll actually get a few more presents in a few weeks when the grandparents come up for M's baptism, so I guess it's not quite over yet.

The rest of the weekend has been devoted to laundry, cleaning the house and preparing for my training class this week.

From Monday through Wednesday, I'll be attending the Franklin Covey 7 Habits of Highly Effective People seminar. One of the pre-class assignments was to read the book of the same name and also listen to the 3 CDs that came with my enrollment kit. I should be able to finish the last CD during my commute to the class in the morning.

As for the book, I'm only about 2/3 of the way through it, but I've decided that I'll be more effective tomorrow if I actually get some sleep, rather than staying up until 2:00 or later to finish the book.

That being said, when I first started the book I was pretty down on it. In fact, I commented to the woman in my office who coordinated the training that it was a pretty tough read.

I should have given it more of a chance. I made that comment after being only about 30 pages into it. I was also drawing comparisons to The DaVinci Code, which was a page-turner from the start and I finished it in just a few days.

It turns out that this book really is good. I've already had some minor revelations and am looking forward to implementing some of the things I've learned...both at work and at home with my family. I'm really looking forward to finishing it.

So anyway, I'm sure I'll be posting about the seminar as the week progresses. Hope you don't mind.

Hmmm...what else?

Tonight's been a good night overall. After getting home from the bowling party, I picked up Chipotle for the wife and me. (The kids had hotdogs at the party.) I managed to get a little more laundry done and got the kids put to bed. I also enjoyed a few minutes of mindless recreation playing Need for Speed 2. All the dishes got done and M's bottles are all poured for tomorrow.

For the past two hours though, I've just been down in my office reading the book for tomorrow and listening to music. During the workday, I listen to music, but I'm always having to mute it as I make phone calls, so there never seems to be any continuity. Tonight's been really nice.

In closing...

While I'm off getting inspired by the seminar, one of my good friends is going to the hospital for the week to undergo the first of several rounds of chemotherapy treatments for recently discovered cancer. The cancer has already been surgically removed and doesn't appear to have spread, but they feel this is their best option. It really freaked me out when I found out he'd been diagnosed and I can't imagine what this is going to be like for him. My thoughts and prayers are going out to him and his family tonight and all this week. (Just so everyone knows, my friend says this cancer is 98+% curable, so we're all very optimistic...it's just that I felt the need to comment on the less-than-pleasant prospect of going through chemotherapy.)

So, on that tremendously upbeat note, I hope everyone has a great week.

Until Next Time...

|