Monday, February 21, 2005

godDAMMIT!!!!

I almost names this post: "MOTHER FUCKER!!!!" but decided I wanted to retain a PG-13 rating.

So you may be wondering...at what is my rage directed? My be-fucking-loved alma mater, the KU-goddamn-Jayhawks.

You see...tonight they managed to lose their third basketball game in a row and they have an excellent opportunity to make it four in a row this weekend.

For those of us that are partial to the successes of the scholar athletes in Lawrence, Kansas, basketball season is easily our favorite time of year. This is when we get to finally enjoy sports after enduring year after year of crappy football. It's pretty much a given that KU will field a top 10 team...maybe top 15 in a bad year. Tonight we were #7 heading into the game and I'm guessing we'll drop out of the Top 10 for sure...possibly further if we lose again this weekend to the now Big 12-leading Oklahoma State Cowboys.

Did I mention that 7 days ago we were undefeated in our conference and had a 2-game stranglehold of a lead on the rest of the league? Now? Not so much.

My god we sucked!

I mean, obviously, I couldn't have done any better, but as a fan (short for fanatic), it is my job to rant and rave about their performance on the court.

I remember reporting on the psychological terms for what sports fans do way back in college...BIRGing and CORFing. If memory serves me correctly, that stands for Basking In Reflective Glory and Cutting Off Reflective Failure.

If your favorite team is losing, you refer to the team as "they" but if your team is winning then you'll refer to the group as "we." In other words, if the team screws up it's their fault, but if they win, you somehow are at least partially responsible for that victory.

Hey...makes sense to me!

(Deep breath...deep breath....deep breath.)

OK....now that I have THAT off my chest, let's see if I can find a positive note to end this post on.

I know...free music! OK...free in the sense that I'm not paying for more than the cost of a bottle of Diet Pepsi. I have shamelessly been cheating whenever I go over to 7-11 to buy a bottle of Diet Pepsi to get only the bottles with the free iTunes songs under the cap.

I mean...it's SO easy! Just tilt the bottle, look under the cap and if you see the word "song," it's a winner! I've bought about 8 straight winners so far.

(Please don't remind me of the fact that I'm paying $1.09 for a 20 oz. bottle of Diet Pepsi when I get an entire 2-liter bottle for $.99 and a whole freaking 12-pack for $3. It's all about the music.)

On my old work laptop, I'd downloaded iTunes and had bought a few albums and EPs to listen to. When I left though, the music didn't come with me, so I've been listening to all of my music on Windows Media Player. I've been avoiding the lengthy conversion process of translating my Windows Media files over into iTunes, but I think I'm going to have to.

You see...I just got $100 for my birthday and another $50 in a rebate for a monitor we recently bought. For those of you who are mathematically challenged, that's $150.

Conveniently, that's almost exactly what one of these costs. I'm going to go for the one with the extra memory even though the smaller one is probably enough. Why chance it?

By the way, in case you were wondering (and I'm sure you weren't), here are the songs I've downloaded with my freebies so far.

  1. Over and Over - Nelly and Tim McGraw
  2. Candy Shop - 50 Cent
  3. Regulate - Warren G
  4. Accidentally In Love - Counting Crows
  5. Just Lose It - Eminem (This was a mistake...I thought it was the next song, so I now have two Eminem songs..damn.)
  6. Lose Yourself - Eminem

I have two free ones left to get. I think I know what they'll be, but you'll have to wait to find out for sure.

OK...enough rambling for me tonight. Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I don't even have a good excuse.

Until Next Time...

|