Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Book' Em Dan-O

Over the weekend, I finished Dan Brown's first book featuring symbologist Robert Langdon, Angels & Demons.

I liked everything about the book except the part where there was a plane that flew Mach 15...I had a hard time buying that. The DaVinci Code always had a certain sense of believability and really made you think if you're Catholic (and, I suppose, even if you aren't). While Angels & Demons was definitely a fun read and a page-turner, it wasn't quite as good as The DaVinci Code. That being said, I'll almost certainly be picking up some of Brown's earlier works such as The Digital Fortress.

While we're on the topic of books, a friend and former co-worker of mine told me last week that he actually got an agent for his novel. While I'm always hoping for the best of him, I'm really pulling for him now, since he got laid off by my former employer last week. If I get any kind of news that it's going to be published, you'll be hearing more about it from me.

He actually sent me a draft that I started reading today. So far, I like it a lot...probably because the main character is an early-30s white male, but I think others will like it too.

I'm just so impressed that he actually wrote the whole thing in the first place. It's over 300 pages in MS Word, but I'll admit I have no idea how much that translates into in hardback or paperback pages.

Knowing that he can do it, though, has inspired me to try to pick up where I left off with my NaNoWriMo effort in November. I've been thinking more and more about how much I'd enjoy being my own boss and writing would certainly allow me to do that.

Now, if I can just get a Grisham-like advance, I'm set! :)

NCAA Tournament

Tonight, the NCAA tournament officially began with the play-in game between 12-18 Oakland and Alabama A&M (whose record I don't know). Oakland kicked the shit out of them and won the privilege of playing Roy Williams' North Carolina Tar Heels next. Personally? I'm hoping Roy's team becomes the first #1 seed to lose to a #16...but I'm sure as hell not picking it in my bracket.

Speaking of March Madness...have you filled out a bracket yet? If so...who do you have in your Final Four and as the ultimate champion? Post your picks in the comments section.

Until Next Time...



|