Saturday, March 12, 2005

Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Basement

Yeah...sucky title, but it's 10:30 on a Saturday night and I'm here updating my blog, so let that be enough punishment for now.

And, for the record, it was more like a waterfall than a few raindrops. You see, we had some guys come out to the house to "renew" our deck...in other words, powerwash the hell out of the wood on the deck and the playset and then come back in a few days to apply some kind of stain or clear finish or something. Well, after having the powerwasher connected for 2-1/2 straight hours, I came home from the gym after lunch and in stepping into my basement office, I smelled water.

Realizing that couldn't be a good thing, I stuck my head into our unfinished (thank god) storage area to see water gushing from the pipe by the outer wall where the powerwasher was connected. There was a good 1/2 inch of standing water in the entire storage area and also cascading down the shelves right underneath that pipe.

After convincing my neighbor to let the workers connect to his outdoor faucet for the remainder of the job, the plumber came out to show us our pipe that must have burst sometime over the winter. Great.

So yesterday afternoon pretty much ended up being a total waste of a workday as we spent the bulk of it carrying everything out of the storage area and up into the garage.

The floor seems dry now, but it still stinks a bit down there. We'll run a fan tonight and see what kind of difference that makes if any. (There's no carpet or wood on the floor...just concrete.)

Today, we ended up sorting through all the crap that we pulled out of storage and have a lot of trash, a few things for a garage sale and quite a bit to donate to Good Will. (Not the Hunting guy...I figure he has enough stuff.)

Somehow, I still managed to find time to watch KU lose to Oklahoma State today. I can't say I'm surprised or even all that disappointed. It would have been nice to win, but the real thing that matters is the NCAAs. (North Carolina lost too, so that was kind of nice.) As for the Big Dance itself, I'm not expecting great things for the Jayhawks. On the one hand, I think they can beat any team in the country on any given day, but it will take an above average effort. On the flip side, they could also lose to a #15 seed. In other words, anything is possible.

I had originally planned on updating this last night, but ended up falling asleep around 9:30. So much for that idea.

Tomorrow night, K & I have a sitter, so we'll go out for dinner and a movie probably.

Well...I need to head upstairs and catch up on the stuff I've been recording.

Have a good one everyone!

Until Next Time...

|