Monday, April 04, 2005

Honeymoon Over?

I'm getting a not so great feeling from my boss these days.

I was out in Arizona last week for an all-day sales meeting and, during the course of it, learned that there was a problem with my first deal that I thought I'd closed.

You see, this client was wanting to do something relatively unique with our program and I had received specific approval from our executive team that it was acceptable to do exactly that. One would think that approval from the executive team would be sufficient reason to move forward.

That's what I did. Had my account services guy send the client the contract to sign and the client signed and returned it. And there was my first deal.

Well...apparently my account services guy didn't send him the right contract so we had to send him an addendum. Kind of a pain in the ass, but something I can live with. I mean, the bottom line is it's my responsibility to review those before they go out and I didn't. Lesson learned and I'll be reviewing all contracts before they get sent out from now on.

Now, though, the legal team is involved and is saying we can't do what the executive team had said it was ok to do. I ended up calling my client on SATURDAY to explain the problem and, obviously, he's not real happy about this.

I called my boss on Saturday to ask her to escalate this. I meant on Monday, but she thought I was expecting her to drop everything and start calling people at work on Saturday. Umm...NOOO....just on Monday.

I mean, if this weren't my first deal, I wouldn't be so obsessive about it, because, quite honestly, it's not the biggest deal in the world. But I don't want to start out by promising something and then taking it back. That's just not cool.

So I finally got the boss to realize that today was fine. I called her again this morning because e-mail was down to see what she needed and she just seemed put off by my persistence on this thing. I'm not sure why.

I'm probably blowing this out of proportion. After all, I got a great review a couple of weeks ago, so it's probably nothing.

And I think e-mail is back up, so I'm going to get back to work.

Until Next Time...

|