Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Kung Fu Fighting

OK...I don't really know if it has anything to do with kung fu or not, but it turns out that a guy I went to school with since elementary school has written a book based on his time at the Shaolin Temple in China over 10 years ago where he studied martial arts there. The book isn't even out yet and recently Fox Studios picked up the movie rights to it. Pretty cool stuff. The title is American Shaolin. (Here's a link to an article in Slate.)

His name is Matthew Polly and he's going to be on The Late Late Show tonight on CBS. I'm going to record it since I have a 6:48 flight tomorrow morning, but I'll try to watch it before I go.

I'm not going to pretend that he and I were best friends or anything, but we did have several classes together and got along fairly well.

The funny thing is that somewhere I have a Mickey Mouse autograph book that my grandparents gave me when I was in grade school. I remember taking it to my "gifted" class one day and Matt was in that class too. I had everyone sign it and I don't have it with me, so it may not be exactly right, but he said something to the effect of..."Hold on to this, because it's going to be worth something some day."(I'll find the book and put the actual quote in here sometime.)

What are the odds of that?

Matt's also written for Slate and Playboy. Sounds like a good gig to me! (Sorry...no link for the Playboy article...I believe it was 20 Questions with Jet Li.)

Go check out the links and tonight's show if you get a chance.

Until Next Time...

|