Sunday, May 08, 2005

Buenos Dias de Madre!

OK...I've never taken a Spanish class in my life, so I don't know if that's an accurate translation for "Happy Mother's Day" but I couldn't bear giving the same title in English that probably 70% of the bloggers out there used for today's entry.

That being said, we had a pretty good Mother's Day today. The kids all made K presents at school or here at home, so the holiday was a little easier on the wallet than it has been in the past. I got her a 1-hour massage gift certificate and she always seems to like those.

And I should have said the holiday started out a little easier on the wallet. By the time the day was done, we'd managed to do some damage.

We went to Lawrence, KS, home of the Jayhawks, to meet my parents, my brother and my sister for lunch at a place called Marisco's. I'd heard good things about the place and was eager to try it. I have to say I was disappointed. It's a combination Italian/Seafood place. The only bread they had before the meal were dinner rolls. If a place calls itself Italian, I expect loaves of bread with some olive oil and herbs to dip it in. On top of that, my pasta was lukewarm at best and the pepper cream sauce that was supposed to come on it had no kick at all. On top of that, virtually all of the dishes had seafood in them except for the most expensive steak entrees. K's not a seafood fan so she opted for a basic ziti with meat sauce...definitely nothing special. We probably won't go back there again.

After lunch, K & I decided to cruise around Lawrence for a while to point out some of the sights to the kids including the KU Campus and the Student Union, including the Jaybowl. I hadn't been there in years and was amazed at the changes.

We also went to a few KU stores to find some KU clothes for the kiddos. We were successful and I also picked up a couple of magnetic dry erase boards for my office. (I know...not real exciting, but hey, I'm happy with 'em.)

The kids did a GREAT job all day and didn't want to go home. So we headed back downtown to a candy store called Penny Annie's for ice cream and some candy and popcorn to go.

From there, we headed out to the overlook point where I proposed to K many years ago. The kids thought it was pretty cool, so that made me feel good.

We ended up eating dinner in Lawrence as well at a barbecue place called Buffalo Bob's. If you like a lot of french fries...this is the place for you. And the sandwiches are pretty good too. (On Sundays, you can get the Jayhawk Special which is a sandwich, a side order, a huge pile o' fries, an apple fritter and a 32 oz. drink....all for $6. Damn good deal if you ask me.

Finally headed home after that with the kids in great spirits on the ride home. I've never seen them handle a long day like that so well. I'm hoping it's a sign of fun road trips to come in the future.

So to all the moms out there, Happy Mother's Day!

Until Next Time...

|