Monday, June 27, 2005

Hoop Nightmares

One element to my exercise regimen is playing in pickup basketball games at my gym on a regular basis. There are games three days per week and I try to get to as many of those as I can. Some weeks I don't get there at all or maybe one time...but frequently it's two or three times.

So, one would think that my basketball skills would improve during that time. I will tell you that it is most certainly not the case.

I can't hit a fucking layup. I swear I haven't made one in three weeks and now it's to the point where the only thing I can think about as I'm driving to the basket is that I'm going to brick the shot. And that shit pisses me off.

I play good defense and am able to keep up with the running up and down the court. I just don't seem to contribute anything on offense other than setting some good picks and grabbing a few loose ball rebounds.

In three games today, I made two shots. I took five including two wide-open, no one around me, piece of cake layups right by the hoop to win the last game. Missed 'em both before they finally got down on defense and got the rebound.

Any suggestions for getting out of this rut? I mean...I make the damn things when I'm warming up...but as soon as the adrenaline gets going in a game situation, I rush the shot and just plain miss 'em.

I'm thinking about doing some positive imagery meditation (ok, I made that term up) to see if I can just start picturing myself making a fast-break layup.

Lame subject matter, I know, but it's what I'm thinking about right now.

|